Saturday 25 August 2007

Painting from 2003

This painting is titled "Africa". At the time I had this fixation of painting women with black hair and lots of it. I was at the beginning of my art career and didn't really know what I wanted to paint. I particularly liked this painting because of all of that orange. I love orange, it"s so warm. This painting appeared in one of my first exhibitions and is acrylic on paper.

The first exhibition I had consisted of paintings on paper, tabletops and floorboards. I started painting on canvas at a later date.

I don't have 'Africa' any more, like many of my paintings I gave it away to someone as a present. Hopefully, they are looking after it.

At the time, I had just returned from a very miserable trip to the U.S. which turned into a disaster. I came back full of emotion and started painting. This one probably has something to do with the black-haired American girl I went to America for and ended up homeless a week later, with a 3 month return ticket that was pretty tough.

Please feel free to leave a comment on this painting. One of my favourite artists is Jackson Pollock, but will get to that later.

No comments: